Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pre- and Post-Quebec Visit

One House = One Swimming Pool

The fact that I was to visit part of the country where French was the dominant language, and that I needed at least a basic level of the language started to kick in to my mind only one day before I was set to leave for Quebec. The reason for my lack of even the most basic preparation when it comes to language has been mostly I wanted to consciously monitor the whole experience of having to learn the language and culture from scratch. At this point, my only exposure to French has been the consistent dual English-French labels on virtually every item and every official government document that I have been exposed to in Canada. My French language skills are about to begin from scratch, as are my familiarity with Quebec and its culture. I did worry on the last day about possible communication difficulties, but it was too late to change my plan to just jump in and learn from the beginning.

I was lucky to be seated next to a girl form Quebec on the flight. We talked nonstop on the one hour and half flight from Toronto to Quebec City. I learned a couple of things from out conversation. The first is that my flight "anxiety" can be avoided by engaging in a conversation; and the second has to do with Quebec, and French language. My flight friend told me that, in many ways, going to Quebec will mean like going to a different country to me. The language is different, of course, and so is the food, as it turns out. I learned for the first time, for example, that poutine traces its origins to Quebec, and I was told to be prepared to see it everywhere. While trying practice some of the most commonly used words and phrases in French, I also noticed something that seems to be distinctively Quebecer: that virtually every house that existed has a swimming pool. Those mostly circle-shaped blue-coloured water bodies that grace the houses are give the city a stunning look from the sky above. The last time I saw that many swimming pools from the sky was when flying over Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; but those were much bigger, giving them the appearance that they were either public ones or that we happened to fly over a wealthy area of the city. The swimming pools in Quebec city, I was told, were more like a must-have for every household.

My first day on the ground has been fun. The airport, with its mostly-French signs, was a good indicator for what to expect in the city. The program coordinator who greeted me at the exit was very friendly, even though all the friendly welcoming words were said in French. She was kind enough to sprinkle English here and there after reading my moments of confusion.

The most positive part of the program so far has been the diversity of the people that it attracts. I have met people from all across Canada, and some even from outside of the country.


The first day has been great: I've by now settled in in my dorm room, located the nearest shopping area (until another "nearest" one is located), familiarized myself with the rules of the house, and, most importantly, I've met many of my future classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment